The funeral home was started June 1st of 1901 in the Plumb Hotel on the corner of Main Street and Bloomington Street by Anthony “Tony” and Leonard Solon. At that time is was named Solon Brother’s Funeral Parlor. It occupied an office area on the second floor. At that time all funeral services were either held in the home of the deceased or at a church.
In 1914 they moved to the corner of Vermillion and Hickory Street occupying the first floor of the Odd Fellows Lodge. (This building still exists today as the second theater at the site of the Majestic Theater). They were later joined by their brother John E. Solon. In 1919. It remained here until 1932 when the Solon family built a new structure at 127 S. Vermillion Street to serve as it’s new funeral home. This was the first and only such structure built solely as a funeral home in Streator. (All other funeral establishments were residences converted to a funeral home later). This building is now the site of Shaw Appliance. Leonard Solon died in 1935. Anthony died in February of 1941 and John E. Solon took over the funeral home. He was joined by his son John J. Solon in 1946.
They occupied this building until 1953 when their business grew to a point that they needed to look for a larger facility. The Howland and Owens Memorial Home located at 301 S. Park Street had been closed due to the passing of it’s owners Henry Howland and Francis Owens which led to John E. and John J. Solon to purchase their building. They renamed the business Solon Funeral Home. This building was originally built as the residence and office of prominent Streator Physician Dr. M.F. Dorsey. After extensive renovations, they moved into the facility in 1955. John E. Solon died in 1964 and John J. Solon was joined by his son Timothy J. Solon in 1967. Their business continued to increase and in 1967 they constructed a much needed second chapel addition to allow them to handle more than one service at a time.
In 1973, John J. and Timothy J. Solon purchased the Liptak Funeral Home from William Liptak at the corner of Vermillion and Hickory Streets in Streator. (Coincidently, the same building the Solon Bros. Funeral Parlor occupied from 1914 to 1932.) They continued operating both funeral homes until 1977 when they merged the two business’ into the South Park Street location.
A new foyer along with heated sidewalks was added in 1978 and in 1988 another addition was constructed for a new office, handicapped restroom and ramp and a 4 car heated garage.
John J. Solon retired in 1989 to Arizona with his wife Bobbie. John passed away in 2008.The funeral home was operated by the Solon family for over 101 years. In July of 2002 the funeral home was purchased from Timothy J. Solon by Jason and Dolly Telford. Timothy now resides in Port Orange, Florida with his wife Rita.
The Funeral Home was renamed Solon-Telford Funeral Home. Although there have been many changes over the years, one thing remains the same ~ caring, dignified assistance to the families we are so honored to serve.